I am a girl who loves fries; however, I am a girl who can't eat fries because I am still trying to lose the baby weight from my baby who is now 15 months. That is another story. One fry has always been hard for me: the sweet potato fry. Mine never turn out crispy. So I decided to do some research and come up with the perfect sweet potato fry recipe.
First, I will tell you that to make any decent fry sweet potato or regular old white potato you must have a really good sheet pan. If your pan warps in the oven your fries will not be crispy. I recently got some commercial sheet pans from Amazon and I love them!!!!!!
These sweet potato fries where a big hit. My hubby thought they were pre-made and my girls adored them.
So after 3 attempts I think I have my recipe...
1 huge sweet potato
2 egg whites, beaten
2 - 4T Flour
1 T olive oil
Seasoning of your choice. I tried several different combos but the favorite so far is an MSG-free seasoned salt. It has salt, pepper, chili pepper, onion, paprika, etc. I am a fan of savory seasoning on my sweet potato fries.
- During nap-time cut up your sweet potato into fries. Soak in water for approx. 30 minutes. Drain and put on a cooling rack so they can dry out. It is important to try and get them as dry as possible.
- Pre-heat oven to 450
- Beat egg whites in large bowl. Toss fries and coat with egg whites.
- Add in flour 1 T at a time until you have enough. The more flour the more coating and the crispier they will get. Toss well.
- Add in your seasonings. I didn't measure but I used quite a bit of seasoning salt. I actually let my two year old "help" and she went a bit crazy with the shaker.
- Spray pan with olive oil cooking spray and spread out your fries. No crowding!
- Bake on one side for 20 - 25 minutes. To make a good fry in the oven you have to cook it for much longer on the the first side. The timing will depend on your oven so watch the fries carefully your first time around. An easy way to know when your fries are ready to turn is to check and see if they will flip easily. If your fry is stuck to the pan it isn't ready!!
- Bake on the other side for 5-7 min until browned.