Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's For Dinner - Wednesdays

Total points for this dinner = 11 points plus

The hardest thing about starting a new diet is trying to feed yourself, and the rest of your picky family. (I am not talking about my hubby because he will eat anything - thank goodness). This is one meal that my whole family will eat, I think it tastes great and it works with my diet. We have had it twice already. Here's the info:

Turkey Meatloaf (5 pp for 1/5th of loaf): this recipe is from Gina's site. Click here for details. I followed it exactly except I used basil instead of marjoram. Also I re-figured the points because the turkey I used had a higher fat content and I didn't have whole wheat breadcrumbs. I love this recipe because it is easy, tastes great and uses ground turkey which I always have in the freezer. (And we buy ground turkey at Costco which I also love).
  • Tip: You can put the meatloaf together ahead of time and stick it in the fridge.

Spicy Garlicky Green Beans (1 pp for 1/2 of serving): This recipe is also from Gina's site which I adore, can you tell? I used frozen green beans from Costco - yes I am obsessed with Costco. These green beans are great because they are frozen when they are fresh. The only thing I changed was adding some red pepper flakes to the garlic. I also only used a few handfuls of green beans instead of using l lb. Click here for the recipe.
  • Tip: Take some steamed green beans out for your kiddies before putting them in the oil & garlic if they are picky like mine.
  • Tip: This technique works really well with fresh steamed broccoli too.

Roasted Potatoes w/ Mustard & Dill (5 pp for 1 cup): This recipe is from my good friend Holly who has gotten me addicted to Trader Joe's. Don't you find that some of your best recipes are from friends? This is a go-to recipe in her house and I have tweaked it a bit (just used less toppings) and now it is a go-to recipe in mine as well. Thanks, Holly!!!

Ingredients:
  • 4 small/med russet Potatoes (1 cup = 3 points)
  • Mustard Garlic aioli from Trader Joes (2 T = 0) You could substitute your favorite mustard but if you live by a TJ's then I would recommend getting this. It is really good.
  • Olive Oil (2T = 8 points)
  • Seasonings to taste: Dill, Salt & Pepper
  • Once cup serving = 3 points for potatoes + 2 pts for 1/4th of topping = 5 pp for 1 cup
Directions:
  • Whisk mustard & olive oil together until they form a paste
  • Toss in potatoes.
  • Add dill, salt & pepper.
  • Roast at 400 or 450 for about 40 to 45 minutes.
  • Tip: I put mine in when the meatloaf was half way done cooking. When I pulled the meatloaf out of the oven, I cranked up the oven to 400. Do you find that timing out things is sometimes the hardest part about cooking?
That's what's for dinner at our house. Enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Weight Loss Tracker