Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Search for Healthy Pizza


Roasted Tomato & Bacon Pizza
8 Weight Watcher Points Plus (4 pp per slice)

I have never met a pizza I didn't like which is one of the many reasons I am now in Weight Watchers. The good thing is that just because I have started a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean I have to give up my pizza. I just have to be smarter about it.

I have begun experimenting with making my own dough. It seems intimidating at first but it is actually pretty easy and so worth it. It tastes so much better. I find that the whole wheat dough keeps me fuller and I feel more satisfied. I am still on the hunt for my perfect healthy dough recipe but this one is working really well for now. It ends up being 3 pp for 1/8th of the pizza + your pizza toppings.

I made this on my Pizza Pizazz (which I love) but you can make it in the oven or on a pizza stone. I have a very curious 15 month old so leaving my oven at 450/500 degrees for one hour to preheat a pizza stone isn't an option for me right now.

My dough recipe is a combination of this Whole Wheat recipe (with some tweaks) and the California Pizza Kitchen technique.

Whole Wheat Dough Ingredients:
  • 2 t honey = 4 pp
  • 1 ½ warm water = 0 pp
  • 1 T active dry yeast (NOT the quick rise)
  • 2 t olive oil = 2 pp (This is used for rolling the dough in the covered bowl. I forgot to add the olive oil into the dough and I thought it was fine w/o it.)
  • 1 t salt
  • 3 ¼ c wheat flour = 40 pp
Recipe Points Plus Total:
  • Yields two 12" pizza crusts
  • 46 pp for total recipe = 23 pp for one whole pizza
  • 3 pp for 1/8th of crust + whatever toppings you put on it.
Pizza Points Overview
  • Crust = 23 pp
  • Roasted Tomatoes = o pp
  • Pizza Sauce = 0 pp (store bought)
  • 3 pieces of crumbled up bacon = 3 pp
  • 1 cup of mozzarella cheese = 8 pp
  • Total = 34 pp for whole pizza
  • 4 points per slice / 1/8th of pizza

Dough Directions

Day one: Dough Making Day
  • Dissolve honey in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes until foamy
  • Form well w/ flour, add salt, pour in liquid. Mix until dough starts to come together
  • Put dough on floured surface and knead adding flour as needed until dough is smooth and bounces back when you press your finger. It should be slightly tacky and barely sticking to your hands.
  • Place dough in an oiled bowl and roll in olive oil. Seal bowl with food wrap. Let stand until doubled in size. Approx. 1 hour
  • Punch down dough. Reform a nice round ball & return to bowl; cover with food wrap Place bowl in fridge overnight. Or you can put it in the freezer for future use. If you do freeze your dough take it out one day before you want to make your pizza and then pick up the directions from below.
Day Two: Pizza Eating Day
  • Approx. 2 ½ hours before you want to make your pizza remove dough from the fridge. Use a sharp knife to divide the dough into 2 portions.
  • Roll the smaller doughs into round balls on a smooth clean surface; be sure to seal any holes by pinching or rolling.
  • Place new balls in glass casserole dish, spaced far enough apart to allow for each to double in size. Seal with food wrap. Dough will double in approx. 2 hours.
  • Then you are ready to roll, stretch or toss your dough and make your pizza.
If you are making your pizza on the pizazz I did 5-7 minutes on the bottom only and then about 10-15 on dual.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Weight Loss Tracker