Monday, May 9, 2011

Lighten Up Those Beans!


Cowgirl Beans
6 Weight Watcher Points Plus (1 cup serving)

Have you ever had Cowboy Beans or Calico beans at a cookout? They are very good but not so good for you. They have hamburger and bacon in them just for starters. I decided to come up a leaner version and call them Cowgirl Beans because us Cowgirls need to look good in our Wranglers, right?

I was very pleased with the results. I altered the beans used in attempt to get my girls to eat this. Normally there are butter beans in the recipe, but the bigger the bean the more freaked out my kids get so I used another can of baked beans instead. I am also telling my 3 year old daughter that this is Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl's recipe (a.k.a. Jessie from Toy Story) in hopes that she will eat it.

This makes a ton of beans and would be perfect for a BBQ or cookout.

Here are the details...

Ingredients
  • Ground Turkey = 16 pp
  • 2 cloves of garlic = 0 pp
  • 2 regular sized cans of baked beans (with juices) = 24 pp
  • 1 regular sized can of black beans (drained & rinsed) = 11 pp
  • 1 regular sized can of canellini beans (drained & rinsed) = 11 pp
  • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce = 2 pp
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar = 6 pp
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar = 0 pp
  • Squirt of sriracha (optional) = 0pp
  • Total = 70 pp
  • Yields approx. 12 cups
  • 1 cup serving = 6 pp
  • 1/2 cup serving = 3 pp
Directions

Cook turkey, season with salt & pepper and minced garlic. You could add an onion too but I was being lazy.

Mix tomato sauce with brown sugar, apple cider vinegar & sriracha.

Combine turkey, beans & tomato sauce mixture in a crockpot. Heat on low for a couple hours and then dig in!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Weight Loss Tracker