Monday, May 23, 2011

Wimbs Need Not Apply: FIRE-Roasted Corn Chowder

Fire-Roasted Corn Chowder
5 Weight Watcher Points Plus (2 cup serving)

When I walked into the library and saw this book on display I just had to get it. I am very quickly becoming obsessed with Sriracha so it was like the book was calling out to me.


This recipe was adapted from the book. I used less olive oil and swapped the cream for low-fat milk. I also used dried thyme instead of fresh because I've got to keep that grocery bill down. I loved this soup but it was really spicy. If you don't want it to be too overwhelming skip the sriracha garnish.

There is also a sriracha crab rangoon recipe in the book. I am going to use it for the inspiration for a lighter crab rangoon. I can't wait to try it.

Ingredients
  • 8 ears fresh sweet corn, husked & divided = 24 pp
  • 1 T olive oil = 4 pp
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced (I used one red, one orange) = 0 pp
  • 1 large red onion, diced = 0 pp
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced = 0pp
  • 6 cups of chicken stock = 1 pp
  • 1/2 cup of Sriracha (If you dare!) = 0 pp
  • 1/2 T dried thyme (or more to taste)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups 2% Milk = 6 pp
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Garnish: fresh cilantro, smoked paprika & sriracha
  • Total = 35 pp
  • Yields approx. 14 cups
  • 1 Cup = 2.5 pp; 2 Cups = 5 pp
Directions
  • Roast 4 ears of corn on the grill until they start to blacken, set aside to cool. Once cooled remove kernels from cob with a knife.
  • Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell peppers, onions and cook until softened slightly, 5 -7 minutes.
  • Meanwhile scrape kernels from the 4 remaining corn cobs. Add raw corn & garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
  • Add stock, sriracha, thyme & bay leaves. Bring to boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Remove bay leaves and puree the soup with an immersion blender.
  • Heat 2 cups of milk on low. Add into pureed soup. Stir in roasted corn that you set aside.
  • Garnish soup with a few lines of sriracha, a sprinkle of smoked paprika & cilantro.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Weight Loss Tracker